Hot Stone Massage is originated many thousand years ago from many different cultures: Incas, Egyptians, Chinese, Native Americans. They used rocks that originally came from outer space in the form of meteorites. Healers used stones from rivers, heating them in coals or hot water and placing them on the energy centres to release pain and muscle tension. Used for both spiritual and physical balancing.
Nowadays the lovely rounded basalt stones, rich in iron, are sourced from South America and used for Hot Stone Massage Therapy as they have the property to retain heat. Combination of hot and cold stones used for body treatment. Spinal layout using hot stones and/or used in conjunction with Swedish massage movements.
Benefits of Hot Stone Massage:
- The direct heat from the stones relaxes the muscles, allowing manipulation of a greater intensity than with basic massage movements. This will help to alleviate minor aches and pains.
- The hot stones give additional warmth to the body by expanding blood vessels, a condition known as vasodilation. This will then make normal Swedish massage movements even more effective at increasing blood flow and eliminating waste.
- Lymphatic circulation is assisted by the general increase in circulation.
There are certain conditions where would benefit from a Hot Stone Massage. They are:
- Muscular aches and pains, sprains and strains
- Back pain
- Stress, anxiety and tension